Re: [OM] Astro musings

Subject: Re: [OM] Astro musings
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 13:49:05 -0700
Not sure how many are interested in astro observations using different cams but
here goes.  . . .
Curiously the tripod high res mode doesn't really do the job for this
application and limited to ISO 1600.  Still very cool.

Hand held high res:

https://tinyurl.com/4m78hshd

https://youtu.be/RxwYZ5HaYMM

Interesting reviews. The video one is actually tolerable. Lots of trade-offs.

Lens choices:

Well try to find ultrafast super wide zoom or prime that is AF in MFT.  Slim
pickings.  The PL 12/1.4 is fine with a good  copy and I rented the PL
10-25/1.7.  It felt HUGE and bigger than my Siggie 14-24 for Sonnie though not
as wide.  Well it is really 100gm lighter but feels larger as is 88mm in
diameter.  We had the Oly 7-14/2.8  as well but it is a bit slow given the
noise disadvantage of the sensor and quite a bit of distortion at 7mm---don't
use ACR to convert as will ruin the stars in the corners.
The Siggie  (60%reported on FM to be largely centered) is about as good as a
hand full of primes.  There is a 20/1.8, 14/1.8 24/1.4.
Advantage Sonnie.

https://tinyurl.com/pfzz838s

Some would say this is comparing apples and oranges and mebbe one is even a
vegetable but that is what is available.

I am guessing the  Sonnie has about a 2 stop noise advantage given larger
sensels with bigger photon wells and 4 times the area and advantages of more
down-sampling but stacking or HHHR mode and careful processing may render this
less important.  Results---TBD.

Eyes in the sky, Mike

Have you thought about a different mirrorless FF, or a 33x44 mm "Medium format"? I know so little about either, that I can't point a finger at anything like a solution. It does seem like you are in a pattern of fighting the smaller sensor of  µ4/3 AND the star eating, infinity focus limitations and hot sensor of the Sony.

 I see a (slow) Laowa 13 mm eq. MF lens for Fuji GFX and smart adapters for EOS
lenses.

Sometimes, when two things are at odds, the resolution of conflict is in a
third thing.

"Listen to me or not, it hardly matters.
I’m not trying to be wise, that would be foolish.
I’m just chattering."
        — Mary Oliver

Smoke Blowing Moose