Re: [OM] IMG: Soligar 35/2.0 Close-Up of Honey Bee

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Soligar 35/2.0 Close-Up of Honey Bee
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 02:11:14 -0700
On 9/8/2021 1:47 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 9/8/2021 12:58 PM, Moose wrote:

On 9/8/2021 7:59 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 9/4/2021 03:51 PM, Moose wrote:
I'm all for using old lenses on new sensors. I have a whole drawer full of
them, although I mostly use them on the format they were designed for, FF. My
inventory list suggests I have at least 23 mount adapters, to accommodate all
of them.

I have a particular affinity for lenses designed before computer involvement in the process. For
me, these old, MF lenses are about the fun of learning them and their particular, less than
"perfect" imaging characteristics, not about being "useful" in making
technically good images.
Perusing the FM forum I noticed some comments on using Voigtlander (m mount) on Sony
cameras. It is known that legacy lenses with sony sensor does not perform as well,
particularly in the corners. So some people are using "Kolari Vision UT sensor
modified camera".
https://kolarivision.com/product/sony-a7-series-thin-filter-legacy-lens-upgrade/
I don't have legacy lenses, but since you have "whole drawer full of them",
then maybe this might be of interest?
Thanks for the thought.

I am interested in these lenses for exactly the opposite reason of those undoubtedly lovely people on FM. If I
want optical perfection in a "normal" FL lens, I don't think of modifying my cameras to somehow make my
1960-ish design Canon 58/1.2 "better"; I put the Oly  µ4/3 25/1.8 on an Oly E-M1 II
body.

If I wanted fabulous optical brilliance on my A7RII, I'd buy one of the several
contemporary super lenses in that FL.

When I want the far from optically perfect rendering of the old Canons, a
LensBaby, a Canon or Minolta Soft Focus lens, even no glass at all, I am not
concerned about corner sharpness.

Have you been in this gallery? <https://photos.app.goo.gl/eiWp74sY3sVdXhfT8>

I did some testing of various forms of softness. Would a modified camera have helped?
😁
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Camom_LenB_NikonSofts/NikonSoft.htm>
Softly, Softly, Catchee Moosie
I should have figured. The gallery shots are really cool.

Thanks!

I don't think I have seen some of those. Clearly a modified sensor makes no
sense. Some of those shots would look good in large print.

I have prints of a few framed, only one larger than 8x10 so far.

I also did a short photo book "Dissolution of Form". It gets some interesting responses, almost all positive, although sometimes after some digestion.

Form Les Moose