Re: [OM] IMG: Soligar 35/2.0 Close-Up of Honey Bee

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Soligar 35/2.0 Close-Up of Honey Bee
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 15:51:53 -0700
On 9/4/2021 11:40 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Since my wide-angle lens will focus closer than 1 ft.,

My often untamed pedant saith: "35 mm on Fuji APS-C is equivalent in angle of view to 53.7 mm on FF. That's 'long normal', not WA."

I got very close to this Honey Bee that was working the Buddleia blooms.  This image is less than 2 percent of the original image, but holds details quite well.  Despite what the Exif data says, it was shot with the 35/2.0 at less than 2 ft.

Close focus is relative - to focal length. One foot on a  50 mm FL gives the same image size on sensor as two feet on 100 mm, for example. One foot close focus is no big deal in 35 mm lenses. All the OM Oly 35 mm lenses focus to the same 0.3 m as the spec. for the Soligor.

My PLeica 12-60 mm lens focuses to 8". Without working out the math, longer FL, closer focus, smaller sensor = If viewed at the same display size, the PL will give a much larger image of the same subject than 35 mm, 1' on APS-C.

I am in awe of your ability and patience in getting so close to these critters. But I have no plan to try to learn that. If I want to shoot a bee, I just use a long lens, as a few days ago. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/iLESPawQTnH1b4T5A>

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20210904-DSCF2783-Enhanced.JPG.html

I'm convinced that this lens could be useful in the future.

I'm all for using old lenses on new sensors. I have a whole drawer full of them, although I mostly use them on the format they were designed for, FF. My inventory list suggests I have at least 23 mount adapters, to accommodate all of them.

I have a particular affinity for lenses designed before computer involvement in the process. For me, these old, MF lenses are about the fun of learning them and their particular, less than "perfect" imaging characteristics, not about being "useful" in making technically good images.

All In The Fun Moose