Re: [OM] Your camera is the best one

Subject: Re: [OM] Your camera is the best one
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 15:06:29 -0700
On 7/8/2021 12:06 PM, Pearce, Wilfred via olympus wrote:
Seems far fetched but not impossible. I look at the example of the sensor used
by Sigma, which has so far, after years of tireless work, has failed to achieve
its promised benefits.

The goal is worthwhile, but perhaps unreachable with that tech. The High Res mode of Oly bodies shows the potential. Bayer arrays lose a lot of resolution and compromise color.

In the Oly HR mode, every pixel location is captured with each sensel color, achieving what the Foveon sensor does with silicon depth, although perhaps more precisely(?).

The effect of no Bayer interpolation on resolution is quite impressive. Shoot in HR mode, then downsample to native sensor size, and much more detail is clear than on a straight shot. Color and handling of out of gamut highlights are better, too. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/E-M5II_HR/TreeLights.htm>

I would just be pleased  by a better four thirds sensor, as example,  something
about 24MP with on chip PDAF.

The difference in practice between 20 and 24 MP is almost nothing. It's a 10% increase in nominal linear resolution, which is on the border or below what's visible in a real world sensor system.

I think the sensors in the Oly E-M1 series meet the criteria; PDAF and comparable resolution. With static subject and camera, the HR mode blows far past it.

I bought an E-M1 II, new, for $899 in one of their sales, 11 months ago.
Perhaps there will more sales.

That would shut me up if affordable.

I bought an E-M1 II, new, for $899 in one of their sales, 11 months ago.
Perhaps there will more sales.

Meeting Specs Moose