Re: [OM] Opinion needed, please

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinion needed, please
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 09:41:51 -0700
At 6/30/2021 09:25 AM, Paul wrote:
>Actually, now that I look at KEH, I can get a clean EM-5 mkII for $386 or a
>clean used E-M1 mk1 for $327.
>
>That kinda makes more sense than getting the EM-5 mk1 repaired for a bit less
>than that. The E-M1 mk1 would give me some features that I don't have.
>
>It all depends on how a couple of side gigs and eBay sales go.
>
>But I definitely want to have a spare body before our next major vacation. I
>was fortunate that the EM-5 waited until halfway through our second day in
>Rome (and final day before going home) to just shut down and never wake up
>again.
>
>On 6/30/21 07:15 : , Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>You have come to the right place! We offer CFO counseling services as well as
>>photography advice. Bottom line, life is short...
>>
>>First, you can't explain photography passion to a CFO. If the failure of the
>>camera on the trip is not evidence enough for the need for 2 bodies, then no
>>point in trying to justify. How much was the trip to Rome and how much
>>pleasure did you loose by not having your camera? (I would probably be quite
>>the sullen person to be around - to put it mildly.)
>>
>>I also don't know what "refurb" means. I'd not trust it to not fail again.
>>I'd vote to replace, not repair, a known lemon. Go for the M2. Second
>>versions often fix known problems. Check these threads, there may be some
>>useful tips.
>>
>>https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4020789
>>https://www.mu-43.com/threads/so-upset-right-now-em5-shutter-locked.85657/
>>https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/79180/om-d-e-m5-takes-one-photo-struggles-shuts-off
>>
>>The shutter failure is one possibility, and someone says the shutter refurb
>>means replacing the camera. So you may not get your exact camera back. You
>>might get another refurbed camera or a new camera? To quote the stackexchange
>>thread:
>>
>>"Just to complete this - my camera went to Olympus AU who diagnosed a faulty
>>shutter mechanism.
>>they tell me that is a replacement not a repair -..."
>>
>>CFO hassle free - WayneS

Some of those posts, if you are brave and have no intention of repairing the MK
I, is to see if the shutter is indeed stuck. Some suggest banging on the bottom
to sticking something in to free the shutter. Me I'd be a bit more cautious and
examine the camera closely.

There was a blog post on lensrental about cracked IBIS mounts. That would imply
some G-force possibly happened to the camera. One of my concerns is hearing the
sensor rattle around when not powered on.

WayneS