Re: [OM] Opinion needed, please

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinion needed, please
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 05:15:18 -0700
At 6/29/2021 09:10 PM, Paul wrote:
>Actually, you lot may be the wrong people to ask...
>
>You may remember that a couple of years ago near the end of our trip to
>Rome/cruise through Greece that my trusty E-M5 ceased to live. It just shut
>down and wouldn't come back. I've tried a hard reset, but no go. I finished
>out our last day in Rome with my iPhone.
>
>In late 2019 I picked up a shiny new E-M5 mkIII, which is still clicking away.
>But that original E-M5 is still sitting on the shelf, looking forlornly at me.
>
>I believe at the time, it was mentioned that for a $250 flat fee, Oly would
>refurb it and bring it back to life.
>
>The family CFO asked why I needed two cameras and questioned my wisdom. I
>explained that it's always good to have a spare body, and that the original
>camera does a few tricks that the new one doesn't, including letting me use
>the extended battery grip that Oly stubbornly refuses to even consider for the
>mkIII. Plus, the screen flips up the right way for ground-level shooting. The
>look I got seemed to indicate my explanation didn't exactly justify my
>reasoning.
>
>Am I crazy, or is it worth sending the original body back in for some TLC?

You have come to the right place! We offer CFO counseling services as well as
photography advice. Bottom line, life is short...

First, you can't explain photography passion to a CFO. If the failure of the
camera on the trip is not evidence enough for the need for 2 bodies, then no
point in trying to justify. How much was the trip to Rome and how much pleasure
did you loose by not having your camera? (I would probably be quite the sullen
person to be around - to put it mildly.)

I also don't know what "refurb" means. I'd not trust it to not fail again. I'd
vote to replace, not repair, a known lemon. Go for the M2. Second versions
often fix known problems. Check these threads, there may be some useful tips.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4020789
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/so-upset-right-now-em5-shutter-locked.85657/
https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/79180/om-d-e-m5-takes-one-photo-struggles-shuts-off

The shutter failure is one possibility, and someone says the shutter refurb
means replacing the camera. So you may not get your exact camera back. You
might get another refurbed camera or a new camera? To quote the stackexchange
thread:

"Just to complete this - my camera went to Olympus AU who diagnosed a faulty
shutter mechanism.
they tell me that is a replacement not a repair -..."

CFO hassle free - WayneS