Re: [OM] Saguaro cactus blooming

Subject: Re: [OM] Saguaro cactus blooming
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 22:20:08 -0700
On 5/12/2021 12:43 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

Thank you.
1/250, F8, ISO 100, 100-400mm @ 400, A7Riv

It is hard to find a saguaro bloom that does not have a bug in it. There are
two in this shot, and this blow up shows one not so obvious:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wdjB1YwF49mwWAiQ9

I recently spent some time wandering around the garden with A7RII and 24-240
lens. Although I got some nice shots, I also had some trouble with insufficient
DoF for my taste.

I may simply have been partially spoiled by greater DoF with a 4/ sensor, then
seriously spoiled by focus bracketing.. FF flower and macro may not be for me
any more?
I did have a hard time holding still without moving forward and backward. I
thought about stacking by moving forward and back.

<relocated>

I found with the Sony I can use magnify (custom button) and then auto-focus in
the magnified view. A nice feature to control the focus point without having to
switch to manual.

I recommend the second technique. 😉

I've been doing that kind of informal focus stacking since long before it became an
in-camera feature, using AF to focus on two or three important focal distances. With
the right subject, just a couple of shots can be veryeffective.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Focus%20Stacking/_1160116-17.htm>

And in Ctein's latest email, "No One Cares How Hard You Worked" ...
I read through his description how he took a number of shots through a
commercial airline window

I like shooting through plane windows. Some examples here. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Montana_2011/In_the_Air>

and managed to stitch together the whole mess. Something I would never attempt.

I've considered trying that, but the smears, distortions, color variation, etc.
deterred me.

I'm a casual photo buddy with Ctein. We talked about focus stacking some time ago. The amount of time and effort he would use on some of them was far beyond what I would do. His patience and tenacity are amazing.

For those who don't get his newsletter, check out the May 7th photos at
https://ctein.com/newer_work.htm
And imagine creating that through the window of a commercial plane window as it
moved. Now that's dedication way beyond my ability.

Except when they won't believe they shouldn't need anything other than a phone
and casual shooting to match what you have produced. And then whine that you
won't give them the secrets to doing it without effort.
Or think highly of their overly processed noisy phone images.

Portrait Mode on iPhones - Smush City!

Death of Detail Moose