[OM] OT: 19CL Landline Telephone Service

Subject: [OM] OT: 19CL Landline Telephone Service
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 13:22:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I just cancelled the 19CL landline telephone service that I've had for 40
years, and I don't feel blue.  The robocall I got about an hour ago tipped the
balance.  Those are supposed to be illegal in this state, but there is no end
to them.  And nobody anywhere is being prosecuted.

     Nobody anywhere enforces the "Do Not Call List", and it has pretty much
been a joke from the very beginning.  And there's the ongoing mystery about
telemarketers listening to your phone for noises to tell them you're home and
eligible for a marketing call.  Now that I don't have dialup internet, almost
all of the activity on the landline phone has been telemarketing calls.

     So, by ending the dialup internet service and now terminating the 19CL
landline, I'm saving about $100/month.  That will buy a LOT of prepaid data for
the cell phone.

     With the cheapo cell phone I get to see the phone number of all incoming
calls, and I can permanently block any that I choose.  Plus I can get decent
internet service, though I need to budget that carefully.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson