Re: [OM] Saguaro cactus blooming

Subject: Re: [OM] Saguaro cactus blooming
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 12:43:51 -0700
At 5/12/2021 11:15 AM, Moose wrote:
>On 5/11/2021 8:20 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>It is time for the cactus to bloom here in AZ. And no, was not shot with a
>>50mm...
>>
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/qwKahCKePVr2aKCT9
>>Saguaro boom, 100-400mm GM on Sony A7Riv.
>
>That's very nice!
>
>I'm curious about the f-stop, which isn't in Google Photo info or EXIF. You've
>done a nice job of DoF and focal plane placement for the subject.

Thank you.
1/250, F8, ISO 100, 100-400mm @ 400, A7Riv

I found with the Sony I can use magnify (custom button) and then auto-focus in
the magnified view. A nice feature to control the focus point without having to
switch to manual.

It is hard to find a saguaro bloom that does not have a bug in it. There are
two in this shot, and this blow up shows one not so obvious:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wdjB1YwF49mwWAiQ9

>I recently spent some time wandering around the garden with A7RII and 24-240
>lens. Although I got some nice shots, I also had some trouble with
>insufficient DoF for my taste.
>
>I may simply have been partially spoiled by greater DoF with a 4/ sensor, then
>seriously spoiled by focus bracketing.. FF flower and macro may not be for me
>any more?

I did have a hard time holding still without moving forward and backward. I
thought about stacking by moving forward and back.

>And in Ctein's latest email, "No One Cares How Hard You Worked" ...

I read through his description how he took a number of shots through a
commercial airline window and managed to stitch together the whole mess.
Something I would never attempt.

For those who don't get his newsletter, check out the May 7th photos at
https://ctein.com/newer_work.htm
And imagine creating that through the window of a commercial plane window as it
moved. Now that's dedication way beyond my ability.

>Except when they won't believe they shouldn't need anything other than a phone
>and casual shooting to match what you have produced. And then whine that you
>won't give them the secrets to doing it without effort.

Or think highly of their overly processed noisy phone images.

WayneS