Re: [OM] Everything OK on the list?

Subject: Re: [OM] Everything OK on the list?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 23:53:44 -0800
Moseying Moose wrote:
> You said "state", small "s", meaning condition? If so, I can't disagree on
> the unlikelihood of being seen in the same
> condition.

That would be quite true. You'd have to shave your beard.

> You need to find the post from which you (pretend) to cite.   I wouldn't mind
> visiting you in Alaska, although
> conditions haven't been propitious. We were on the road 1/4 of 2019, then it
> was winter, and 2020 got sort of out of hand.

OK, you did say something about cold and all that. Granted, winter
does last for 18 months every year, but it does help keep the
mosquitos under control.

> I hesitate to say I'd prefer it to Iowa, but Joel is listening again.

I'm thinking through the possible scenarios that would get me to step
foot in Iowa again and I'm not really thinking of any likely ones at
the moment. As much as I'd like to do a Zuikofest with Joel again, I
am reminded that we drove out of state every chance we could get.

> Carol wants to cross the country in our Turtle, and apparently my
> sister-in-law has had that as a dream for decades. But
> everybody and their brother (including mine!) is buying RVs, so I imagine
> every RV campsite in the country will be taken
> this summer. We may pass through Iowa in 2022? Already set up for Iona in
> April.

It's expected to be another down year for Alaska in regards to
tourism. Of course, that's kinda relative, because it's never like you
are on top of each other anyway. Other than for the cruise ships. The
neat thing about camping is that in Alaska it's VERY rare to have a
campsite location that you need to pay for. And there are innumerable
options that are jaw dropping.

Speaking of, I'm contemplating my living arrangements once my current
lease expires in July. I need to find some place much less expensive.
I've been looking at spending a year in Whittier. There are some
interesting aspects to that. Finding a sugar daddy would probably work
too, but I'm not so sure I want to pay that kind of rent at my age.
Regardless, there are many awesome places to live that if you don't
have to worry about specific commute requirements or telecommunication
needs are pretty awesome.

AK