Re: [OM] A Love Story - 35 Year Anniversary with the OM-2S

Subject: Re: [OM] A Love Story - 35 Year Anniversary with the OM-2S
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 21:52:31 -0800
On 2/5/2021 2:48 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Thanks for the explanation.  Didn't have a bit of shutter lag?  Seems like it
might upset its use for events, but obviously not in your hands. Perhaps it
ameliorated the aperture stop down shock issue rendering it a feature, not a
defect.
A slight bit of shutter lag, yes. I found the camera to be a royal
pain for sports/action photography as a result. Eventually I had
learned how to shoot ahead of the action and that helped matters a
lot.

Still an interesting area of intersection of equipment and technique.

Pre-focus and anticipation have worked well for experienced photographers of
sports, dance, and so on for many years.

Add in burst modes with focus for each frame, and a lot of it gets darn easy, start a little early, pick the perfect frame later.

But critters generally don't telegraph their next move in the way people and large mammals do. Waiting for the moment is chancy, as they are usually quicker than the sequence of brain evaluation, nerve impulse, muscular action and camera shutter lag. Yet burst mode just leads to endless useless frames. The sure way to get them to do what I want is to take my finger off the shutter button. 😉

So, I'm fascinated by Oly's ProCapture Modes. The HS version, sans AF, doesn't work for flighty little things. The idea of a stream of AF captures @ 18 fps, with the unneeded ones falling off the buffer into the bit bucket is very appealing.

Got the gear now, waiting for the subjects and the freedom to roam in search of them. I wander out in the garden, things are budding and some starting to flower, but the little critters are not yet out. 🙁

Waiting for G. Moose