Re: [OM] A Love Story - 35 Year Anniversary with the OM-2S

Subject: Re: [OM] A Love Story - 35 Year Anniversary with the OM-2S
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 02:54:35 -0800

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
I'm fascinated by Oly's ProCapture Modes. The HS version, sans AF, doesn't work
for flighty little things. The idea
of a stream of AF captures @ 18 fps, with the unneeded ones falling off the
buffer into the bit bucket is very appealing.
The high speed version, a screaming 60 fps, works great for "flighty little
things" that are not coming straight at you or straight away from you.

The real neat thing about ProCapture, is the viewfinder never goes dark! So you
can accurately pan with a bird flying perpendicular to line-of-sight. It stays
in focus, and you have 60 frames to pick from!

You've made two assumptions that have not been true as yet for me. Things move in focal distance. Classic; one nicely in focus shot of a flutterby, followed by a bunch of shots of it just sitting, wings closed, and then - a perfect capture of it opening wings fully before flight - EXCEPT - it's badly of of focus. Did I move, the twig move, who knows. But it's a dud. Similar problem with the small birds in our yard.

And not only this, but you can do it with ANY lens you can put on the thing,

Yes, I know, I reported that here months ago.

whereas the "slow" version only works with PRO lenses,

Nope, also works, as speced, on the 100-400, which is not a Pro Lens..

because only they have adequate auto-focus to track at 18 fps.

(Actually, I think 18 fps in continuous autofocus is spec'd as the peak,
depending on speed of autofocus.)

Yup, the three available settings are 10, 15 and 18 fps.

The E-M1.2 was criticized for not doing 4k video at 30+ fps. But with
ProCapture, it will do MORE than 4k at 60 fps, for one second! If you're then
viewing it at standard frame rates, you get 4x slo-mo for four seconds. A
slow-mo cut of more than four seconds starts to bore users, anyway.

Not my thing.

Try it. You'll like it!

Been there, didn't like ProCap H. Works fine, technically, with the Panny
100-400.

Bought the Oly 100-400. Works fine with ProCap L, but the subjects I want to use it on either aren't here in winter or are in places we don't go under lockdown (chosen, regardless of the rules.)

As we will both have had first shots and will soon be fully vaccinated and as spring progresses, the subject and location problems should get better.

Found a demo MC14 for $100 off, too. And yes, under ideal conditions, 1.4x resolves more than cropped 1x.  (Indoors, 1:40, tripod, HR Mode, remote release.) Should work well in sunlight.) EXIF reports MC14 attached and adjusted FL, aperture, which is nice.

Ready, Waiting Moose