Re: [OM] IMG: Polish-Puerto Rican covid food

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Polish-Puerto Rican covid food
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 15:36:35 -0500
On 12/22/2020  21:31:37 +0100 , Nathan wrote:
A true testimony to our multicultural marriage is that my Puerto Rican wife
likes to make traditional Polish dishes. So yesterday we invited our
Argentinian/Catalan friends for lunch (broadly defined, since we live in
Spain), and she made barszcz (beet soup), followed by go??bki (cabbage leaves
stuffed with rice and ground meat) and pierogi (dumplings stuffed with potato
and farmers cheese). I did photograph the barszcz (soups are not that
photogenic anyway), but the star plates are here.

First, the go??bki:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Cooking-in-confinement/i-PGwTvSF/A

And then the pierogi, pan-fried with chopped onions:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Cooking-in-confinement/i-VdcgvhR/A

My ethnic heritage is Jewish from the Baltic States area of the Russian Empire, though over 130
years removed. My mother and grandmother made these foods. The Yiddish word for beet soup, matching
the Russian, was borsht.  My family never made pierogis, but that is what they were called in
delis.  Interestingly, we called stuffed cabbage rolls "stuffed cabbage rolls".  Whatever
the original name was, it had already faded away.  I had never heard of "go??bki".

By the way, that word displayed as gee, oh, question-mark, question-mark, bee,
kay, eye in my mail reader.  Letters with diacritic marks on non-English
keyboards often display as question marks.  What is go??bki in English letters
only?

On a tangent, when I see my posts in the OM Digest, question marks often show
up where I did not put them. For instance in my signature line, where I
actually type five spaces, five dashes, a space, and then my name.  Do other
people see these things, or is it some strange interaction between my mail
reader, the OM list processor, and back to my mail reader?  I use Thunderbird.

     ----- Larry Woods