Re: [OM] sharp + bokeh with the 110mm Voight

Subject: Re: [OM] sharp + bokeh with the 110mm Voight
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 20:18:31 -0700
At 11/23/2020 07:24 PM, AG Schnozz wrote:
>> Here is a stack of 28 with the Voigtlander 110mm at F7.1.
>> 3D ness?
>
>Not really in these. I think the stacks are going too deep and
>flattening out the subject just a touch. The subject is set in the
>background instead of in front of it. This is the opposite of what I
>was saying your photographs are like. :)  Oh well... On these, the
>flowers themselves are lacking a bit of texture and clarity.
>
>In painting with oils or acrylics, we paint from back to front. The
>subject is literally painted on top of the background. When I was
>learning how to paint, I was doing this backwards and the subject did
>a "Homer Simpson" and backed into the bushes.
>
>A couple days ago, I posted several pictures (on FB) of a flower
>arrangement with a Christmas Tree in the background. What I didn't
>mention, nor really present the pictures where the scene almost
>inverted. While I could manipulate dimensionality into the images,
>there were some where this came naturally and required no adjustment
>to bring to life. Honestly, the 28/2 and 50/1.4 images were actually
>kind of flat and the flowers lacked dimensionality. They got sucked
>into the picture. The 35-80/2.8 was remarkable and the flowers almost
>leap through the monitor. The 35/2 is MUCH more dimensional than the
>28/2 and 50/1.4. Of the digital lenses on the GX-85, the Lumix 45-150
>was flat, the 50-200 SWD was world-class dimensional, and the lowly
>Lumix G 25/1.7 stole the show. Interestingly, the 100/2 actually was
>quite confusing because the flowers themselves had the classic 3D pop,
>but the background overwhelmed them and created a slight tunnel effect
>where the flowers moved backwards into the scene.
>
>AG Schnozz

I agree with your assessment. I don't particularly like my shot. It does not
hold interest.

And I did see the images you posted. Although I kinda liked the 100/2 shot.
Looks like flowers floating in bubbles and has a bit of surreal-ness. Straberry
Fields Forever - nothing is real...

The 35/2 looks like bubbles coming out of the flowers. same with 28/2.

But the 100/2 is more interesting, IMO, than the 35-80. Embrace confusion.

WayneS