Re: [OM] sharp + bokeh with the 110mm Voight

Subject: Re: [OM] sharp + bokeh with the 110mm Voight
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 14:26:07 -0900
> I had the John Shaw book once, Closeups in Nature, but all I remember was
> about mounting a lens in reverse thread to make a macro lens out of it and
> how extension tubes decrease exposure. Things are different today, with
> digital cameras capable of fast capture (no auto winder required), photo
> stacking software, sharpen AI... So if John Shaw's influence is there, it is
> in the way back unconscious.

>From a technical perspective, I agree with you. But it's the actual
pictures. I still have that book and just took a peek at it to make
sure I wasn't talking out of my hat. There is a style of "flower
portraiture" that you do which is consistent with Shaw's style from
that era. (in the digital era, I think he jumped the shark). Again,
it's not copying, but it is consistent. The one thing you do which I
admire is your ability to have the flower actually take on a 3D
characteristic that makes it look physically 3D right on the screen.
It's as though I can reach through the glass and touch it. EVERYBODY
can dance the "bokeh", and that's not what I'm talking about. Yours
has a depth and brightness variation that makes it take on a physical
trait that isn't usually seen in photography, but is typically seen in
paintings by the masters.

> Of the photographers that influenced me, besides this list with many
> insightful comments, would be Rod Planck and Galen Rowell. Galen's work was
> so way beyond anything, I felt dumbstruck looking at it. I wish he was still
> around.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at the stock image sales reports, and
the bulk of the images that are selling well show people doing things
in a way that shows inclusion of the viewer. This is a style that,
frankly, originated with Galen Rowell. He directly influenced a
generation of photographers, but in turn created a standard that the
next generation of photographers have no idea the origin. There was
really nobody successfully creating and selling those images before
Galen Rowell.

But even his nature photography without people, showed a brilliance
and inspiration that revealed a very complex technical understanding
of eye-flow and emotion. He is missed!

> Of course the web, today, is teaming with influences and inspirations. Moose
> has been particularly helpful.

I agree that there is an abundance of influence and inspiration right
now. As to "groundbreaking" advancements of style? Probably not so
much. I think we're seeing almost a "group think" advancement. One
person does something new, the next person adapts it, the third person
perfects it, the fourth person uses that as a means to do something
else completely new and the cycle repeats.

Along with this, I do recognize how much I'm copying from others these
days. I'm seeing that I got myself into a loudness trap with my
landscape photography and I don't know how to get out.

AK Schnozz