Re: [OM] Autumn lillypads

Subject: Re: [OM] Autumn lillypads
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2020 08:01:13 -0700
At 10/31/2020 09:17 PM, The Shaprer Eyed Moose wrote:

>On 10/29/2020 8:08 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>At 10/28/2020 09:29 PM, Moose wrote:
>><>

>>>You might try paying attention to the quiet. It's always around, so just
>>>requires paying attention.
>>I actually do that quite a bit. Just that I don't think the photos would
>>interest people much. Here are some photos, all taken one day last week with
>>Voigtlander 110mm.
>
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/APW4j1Gy73FS3nGW6
>>This is what an old saguaro cactus looks like. Reminds me of Oak tree bark.
>
>I like it; my kind of photo!
>
>But there's a tech problem with it on Google Photos. All the glory of the lens
>is lost in translation. It's quite soft. When I download it, I get an
>1800x1195 image, with pretty decent detail. But It does seem that you may not
>resharpen after downsizing for the web?
>
>You can do the math, which I can't (or won't?), but here's a non math
>description why ALL digital sampling loses sharpness and needs resharpening if
>it's to be anything like the original. From the Moose Monday columns I just
>referred to. Starting in PP 6 of this page.
><http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=1>
>
>So, the poor image starts out at a slight disadvantage, but then the display
>gallery does much worse. When I view the link on Google Photos, I see a
>1378x1195 pixel image on my 24" monitor. On my portable, it's 1200x800.
>
>Take a look at what that downsizing by GP has done to sharpness, clarity of
>detail, whatever you want to call it.
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Display/GooglePhotosDisp.htm>
>
>Not a good selling point for the Voigtländer 110 mm. :-)
>
>>I was on a walk thinking/feeling memories of my wife who died 2.5 years ago,
>>and recent news that week that a friend, mostly on facebook, passed away
>>suddenly. This is a photo of Wyatt from his FB page:
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wv51bmsTsQHz6Y2g8
>
>>I was really hoping to meet up with him since he was back in AZ. He spent the
>>summer hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in Oregon/Washington. His iPhone photos
>>were inspiring. He was a great spirit. So death, grief, and loss was on my
>>mind. I connected to this particular old cactus and felt a peace come over
>>me. Hard to explain. The thought "life is a stream" and not to be concerned
>>when a husk is left behind. Why we feel loss? Is it the trance of memory?
>>And to value the moments I have with people. Most species are just in the
>>continuity ...
>
>>Further on the walk:
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/q8ksiDv4STbaQ3nk6
>
>Another great, if soft, shot. Naked, dead Alf?
>
>>and does a rock have Buddha nature?:
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/a8CNnYPDG5UxJerJ7
>
>I think he belongs with these guys.
><https://photos.app.goo.gl/PMax3htbSVChPKrRA>
>
>>and the day's end.
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/1wFe1pwZgzt5H37N8
> [...]

Image size down sampled in PS instead and sharpened in Topaz.
Since the first one is a poorly done stack of 3, there may still be soft spots.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/knD66HN8cKEhB4Es8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NGY2fZxdYAxqn3ap9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YBeqb5Xwkv1k73CGA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Rs9NzqbBK1qKnnW7