Re: [OM] Autumn lillypads

Subject: Re: [OM] Autumn lillypads
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 21:17:33 -0700
On 10/29/2020 8:08 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 10/28/2020 09:29 PM, Moose wrote:
<>

Sometimes I am my own worst critic, often looking for that shot that will jump
out at you, rather than the more subtle feeling of place and mood.
You might try paying attention to the quiet. It's always around, so just
requires paying attention.
I actually do that quite a bit. Just that I don't think the photos would
interest people much. Here are some photos, all taken one day last week with
Voigtlander 110mm.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/APW4j1Gy73FS3nGW6
This is what an old saguaro cactus looks like. Reminds me of Oak tree bark.

I like it; my kind of photo!

But there's a tech problem with it on Google Photos. All the glory of the lens is lost in translation. It's quite soft. When I download it, I get an 1800x1195 image, with pretty decent detail. But It does seem that you may not resharpen after downsizing for the web?

You can do the math, which I can't (or won't?), but here's a non math description why ALL digital sampling loses sharpness and needs resharpening if it's to be anything like the original. From the Moose Monday columns I just referred to. Starting in PP 6 of this page. <http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=1>

So, the poor image starts out at a slight disadvantage, but then the display gallery does much worse. When I view the link on Google Photos, I see a 1378x1195 pixel image on my 24" monitor. On my portable, it's 1200x800.

Take a look at what that downsizing by GP has done to sharpness, clarity of detail, whatever you want to call it. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Display/GooglePhotosDisp.htm>

Not a good selling point for the Voigtländer 110 mm. :-)

I was on a walk thinking/feeling memories of my wife who died 2.5 years ago,
and recent news that week that a friend, mostly on facebook, passed away
suddenly. This is a photo of Wyatt from his FB page:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wv51bmsTsQHz6Y2g8

I was really hoping to meet up with him since he was back in AZ. He spent the summer
hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in Oregon/Washington. His iPhone photos were inspiring. He
was a great spirit. So death, grief, and loss was on my mind. I connected to this
particular old cactus and felt a peace come over me. Hard to explain. The thought
"life is a stream" and not to be concerned when a husk is left behind. Why we
feel loss? Is it the trance of memory?
And to value the moments I have with people. Most species are just in the
continuity ...

Further on the walk:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q8ksiDv4STbaQ3nk6

Another great, if soft, shot. Naked, dead Alf?

and does a rock have Buddha nature?:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/a8CNnYPDG5UxJerJ7

I think he belongs with these guys.
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/PMax3htbSVChPKrRA>

and the day's end.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1wFe1pwZgzt5H37N8
Sometimes photos, when viewed raw, don't seem like much until processed.

Perfect for the end of a day spent partly in contemplation of death and loss.

Earlier that day - looking to see if the 110mm Voigtlander had the pop.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XdtBKLdcH98UzHY56

An answer must await a properly downsampled and resharpened version small enough that Google doesn't damage it. (But I suspect not.)

One Ten Moose