Re: [OM] IMG: Macro Experiment with Leica-R 60 Elmarit Macro Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Macro Experiment with Leica-R 60 Elmarit Macro Lens
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 16:16:55 -0800
> It gets weirder, when Mega-Pickles are considered. Testing the OM 600/5.6, I
> found that the pixel dimensions of the
> target on 24 MP FF were almost identical to those of a shot @ 400 mm on 20 MP
> µ4/3. The interaction of different
> physical and MP dimensions of the sensors and of actual, vs. nominal, FLs of
> the lenses made them in effect equivalent.

I discovered something else sneaky. My Panasonic DMC-GX85 has some
anti-aliasing software that addresses the fact that the sensor has
very little, if any AA filter. But it appears to be a feature that
requires the camera to know the characteristics of the lens. All of
the native Panasonic lenses have the aliasing largely addressed, but
the adapted lenses (including the Four-Thirds Olympus lenses) will
generate rainbows everywhere! While I understand that lens sharpness
and resolving ability play into this some, I see this extend past that
point. However, the 12-60 SWD and 50-200 SWD do take this to an
extreme and I'm finding that the aliasing is reaching a critical point
at times.

AG Schnozz