Re: [OM] OT: Automotive Rant

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Automotive Rant
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 10:31:55 -0800
I really don't understand how you are running into parts issues on a
2000 Toyota pick-up. Me thinks that it has to be a localized issue.

As to oil, first of all, stay far far far away from Pennzoil in your
Toyota. It has detergents in it that will also cause foaming issues.
Not a problem in some vehicles, but in Toyota 4 and 6 cylinder truck
engines, it's like running WD40 and dish soap through your crankcase.
The amount of sludge that builds up with Pennzoil is miserable because
that foaming causes it to settle in the eddys. Some engines are fine
with it, but I never let Pennzoil anywhere near a Toyota. Also,
because of the aggressive use of detergents, a Pennszoil lubricated
engine is a "dry" engine during cold-starts. Just say no to Pennzoil!

Toyotas here in Alaska are almost religion. The demand for pre-2000
trucks is insane. And it's near impossible to find a solid-axle one,
as those are in huge demand and command big money. I've been keeping
an eye open for a 1990s extended-cab that I can restore. But I'm
getting priced out. Anything that has good bones and runs is as
expensive as a five-year-old luxury vehicle.

AG Schnozz