Re: [OM] OT: Automotive Rant

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Automotive Rant
From: Philippe <photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 22:24:58 +0200

> Le 9 oct. 2020 à 21:32, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
> On 10/9/2020 9:27 AM, Philippe wrote:
>> They’d be wrong Jim if they did so and poorly trained mechanics - oil (and
>> by the way gas as well) degrades over time.
>
> Gas, yes
>
> Oil, no. Is there an expiration date on that container of new oil? No. Oil is
> shelf stable over many, many years.

Manufacturer say you’re no longer covered after, usually, 5 years. There must
be another reason than just trying to sell you their stuff.

> Then I put it in an engine that isn't used for years. What has changed that
> would cause it to deteriorate?
>
> I did some web research on this. Our Mercedes Sprinter has this smart oil
> life calculator. One day, based on time, mileage, temps, etc., it says the
> oil is good for, say,  another 7,000 miles. The next day, is says it needs to
> be changed right away, because it's been in there a year.

Mileage OR time - the first one of either, else you lose the guarantee and have
to pay any damage from your own pocket … In truth I don’t care, servicing is
included in the extensions we buy for our cars ;-)

Diesel and/or turbo charged engines require careful attention - electric cars
less ;-)

> The old x,000 miles or one year rule is based on an unstated assumption, that
> the car has been used regularly, but for only very short trips, the kind that
> are hardest on engine and oil.
>
> In the case of an RV, which sits idle most of the time, then runs up most of
> its miles on hours long trips, that assumption is invalid. Also invalid for a
> car that has been in storage.
>
>> Ask anyone with a chainsaw or a lawn-mower that only occasionally runs why
>> they nevertheless service them regularly, and empty the tank before storage.
>
> That's easy, because they have been taught to do so.

Or learned from facts and experience in my case.

> True for two cycle, true for gas, not for four cycle oil.

Amities

Philippe