Re: [OM] OT: Automotive Rant

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Automotive Rant
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 18:34:44 -0500
In all the years I've been involved with cars, starting in 1952, I've lost one engine due to an oil problem.  This was around 1960, and it was a 1956 Plymouth demonstrator, serviced by the dealer using a Shell multi-viscosity oil.  I let an oil change slip up on me and stretched my luck to make a weekend family trip.  I had an engine seizure in the middle of nowhere in North Alabama with my wife and two young sons.  My Dad rescued us and we towed the car to my old home town in Mississippi.  Engine disassembly revealed that the bottom of the crankcase was loaded with a substance resembling white lead found in old house paint.  My conclusion was that the multi-viscosity additive separated from the oil, and some of it plugged up an oil passage.

I had the engine rebuilt and traded it.  A co-worker's brother bought it, knowing its history, and drove it happily.