Re: [OM] Isolation??

Subject: Re: [OM] Isolation??
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 13:03:45 -0700
On 4/19/2020 8:58 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
I posted a meme

Sigh. Another good, useful word lost.

It's not so much that I object to words being repurposed, as that I am frustrated by the hole they leave behind. They don't get replaced, at least in the short run, and one is forced to try to work around the gap, in order to convey meaning effectively.

"Discern", and "differentiate" are perfectly good words, that are being stretched to fill in, and one may get more precisely there with circumlocutions, but I miss the old "discriminate". It was quite precise, thus delightfully self defining.

A "meme" used to be something that arose naturally within a culture. One could
only be identified in retrospect.

I thought that in its new form, it was shorthand for some phrase, idea, image, etc. that
had "gone viral".

Now, it is apparently something that may be invented by an individual  and set loose, and is already a "meme" when released into the wild, not only after proving itself robust enough to spread widely.

There is, of course, a considerable list of words borrowed from other languages to represent concepts feelings and things that didn't have suitable representation in English. It seems a shame that we need to further impoverish the breadth and depth of our language, though.

Poor Pedanty Moose