Re: [OM] self-isolating

Subject: Re: [OM] self-isolating
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 00:43:39 -0700
On 3/26/2020 1:51 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
That sounds like stupid greed and selfishness. If people shop rationally, there
should be no shortages.

I almost fell off my chair. Individuals may or may not act rationally. An interesting thing to debate. But it's clear that, as groups, we do not.

Other than simple panic, flailing around to find something to do in the face of crisis, I was wondering why toilet paper. Then, I realized that the supply chain for businesses, theaters, and so on, often for large cartons of single wrap, are probably backed up with unused supplies. In areas with stay home orders, we have moved huge numbers of people from those other venues in to homes.

So the actual demand is higher than it was. Lots of folks here should remember the Johnny Carson TP shortages. I was living by myself at the time, and avoided any problems by doing most of my 'business" at work, where the alternate supply chain was working fine.

When I go to the supermarket, things are almost normal. Yesterday they had no
Brussels sprouts which I happened to want for dinner, but that was the extent
of my deprivation.

HAH! I got Brussels Sprouts today!

Little Cabbages Moose