Re: [OM] self-isolating

Subject: Re: [OM] self-isolating
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 01:07:55 -0700
On 3/26/2020 2:09 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
My favorite grocery store has closed permanently.  I shopped at the next
closest one (18 miles) yesterday.  The things they were out of were weird.
No flour, no sugar, no mayonnaise, no bread, no eggs, no chicken, no TP, no
paper towels, no potatoes, no bananas.

We went shopping today, first time in two weeks. Posts on the local NextDoor were odd. It seems everyone wants to go to Costco or Trader Joes, and at seniors times in the AM. So there are long lines, without proper spacial distancing.

Armed with masks and gloves, we went to our local Safeway early afternoon. Parking lot almost empty. No crowding in the store, no lines at the check stands. Almost fully stocked, with a few exceptions. No garlic, almost no eggs, none we wanted, and of course, no TP or PTs. The service meat counter was closed, I suppose so meat and seafood would not be out uncovered, even if behind glass. But the butchers had been at work earlier and the precut and packaged shelves were full.

A couple of other individual items were out, but no worse than usual. We got
2-3 weeks worth of supplies, with no hassle.

The only one I was really worried
about was flour.

I didn't check flour. :-)

I watched a video on how to safely buy and put up groceries.

The one with the doctor guy with the blue tape line on his counter? I thought it odd that he didn't address the use of gloves at all.

You are supposed to leave them on the porch or garage for 3 days before bringing
them in the house and then you should sanitize everything!!

That's not "and", it's "or". Leave out - or - sterilize. Kill the virus now, or
let it die on its own.

Our approach is slightly different. We don gloves and masks as we exit our car. Yeah, I know, CDC says masks aren't needed. But what can it hurt to add protection?

At the end, after loading the trunk/boot, we take mask and gloves off to enter the car. The gloves are now potentially contaminated. They too will wait 3 days before being used again. At home, I don a different pair of gloves to carry everything in. Non-perishables wait in bags for the three days. Produce is transferred to different bags from the recycling bag. and other items put in the fridge, new at the back, to age out.

Our usual fresh crab cakes were unavailable, so I tried some prepackaged ones (pretty good). When I took the package out, I took off the outer wrappings, disposed of them, washed my hands thoroughly and went ahead with cooking. We know what's new, and will either wait the 3 days, or treat as I just described.

It seems simpler than the doc's plan, but who knows. We're even aging the mail before bringing it in the house and opening it.

I guarantee our bread is going to be better than the bread he dropped in a
plastic tub!

Protocol Moose