[OM] Oly's new lens [was E-MI MkIII--thoughts???]

Subject: [OM] Oly's new lens [was E-MI MkIII--thoughts???]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:49:29 -0800
On 2/14/2020 4:56 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
I find the camera tempting, with the light weight new lens, ...but... for the
money there are a lot of options. (Admittedly I have committed to Sonie
system). My interest in u43 is mostly for a more compact system. So...

https://camerasize.com/compact/#840,724,831,770,ha,f

I find those camerasize comparisons misleading without lenses attached.
<http://j.mp/37ndxs8>

The A7 III doesn't look particularly large, comparing bodies only. Slip over to the right a bit and look at it with the roughly eq. SONY G lens, 24-105/4, vs. the E-M1 III with 24-90/4 eq. lens. HUGE difference in size and weight.

I have an A7 and 24-240, same size and only slightly lighter than A7 III and 24-105, and it's huge and heavy, compared to GX9 with 12-60. In fact, only 100 g lighter than GX9 with 100-400, although much shorter.

Doesn't look like the E-M5 III or E-M1 III will dethrone the Panny GX9 as my
personal sweet spot.

If one is in the u43 world, Oly is evolving.

I'm not so convinced. I can see where the new 12-45 fits into their own lens lineup, smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 12-40/2.8. In the wider world of µ4/3 12-xx lenses, it doesn't stand out to me. There's a whole range of lenses, with various combos of focal range, speed and weather resistance.

I still like my PLeica 12-60, faster at the short end, longer at the long end and also weather resistant, at a modest price in size/weight. Also, on a Panny body, Sync-IS.

At least they managed highest mag the same at short and long ends. And I'd like to like the 12-200, but the reviewers really don't like the long end. And honestly, the Panny ZS200 in daylight is a better bet for size, weight, FL range and IQ.

Options Moose