Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 17:11:39 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     The American EarthLink tech support guy gave me four clandestine
Windstream dialup numbers, all of which have been working fine.  Both the
EarthLink and Copper.net numbers hang up in less than two minutes of being
connected, and I'm told that it's all my fault (of course).  Not so.

     He also told me that their modems are leased from Windstream, which simply
begs the question of Windstream possibly sabotaging EarthLink and Copper.net.

     Looking at all this first-hand, it seems that internet service in the
Phoenix area is doomed.  The only reliable provider is Cox, and they only offer
cable, which I simply cannot fit into my budget.

>Windstream did spin off some business units, as a means to raise some
>cash. What you know of Earthlink today, while legally a separate
>company, is really just a handful of people babysitting a few hundred
>modem shelves (each one containing line cards to support hundreds of
>concurrent dial-up users). The last I knew, everything is still 100%
>Windstream equipment and network. It isn't really a competitor.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson