Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 15:04:56 -0900
>      Equally amazing is that I can step outside my front door, see buildings
> at Arizona State University, and yet cannot get DSL.  They probably have
> better internet service in Mongolia.
>
>      Just another sunny day in high-tech Amerika.

I can't speak to Mongolia, but would be almost certain that we have
better Internet service in Igiugig, Alaska, than you do at your house.
In fact, other than speed caps and latency due to satellite
connectivity, Little Diomede Island probably has better Internet
service than what you get. At least all the customers there have
high-speed Internet--no dial-up.

Seriously! Little Diomede Island! You really can see Russia from their houses.

I've got projects that I'm lead engineer on that can provide in excess
of 17.6 Tbps of capability to places that would make your head shake.
The logistical and geographical challenges are so extreme that you
wonder how anything will ever work.

We had a subsea fiber optic cable cut last week down in the Cook Inlet
that was caused by the ice pack having something caught in it and got
dragged across the cable. Unfortunately, it's too shallow there for
the regular ship to do its thing, so everything has to be loaded on a
barge and floated in place. Imagine holding a barge in one place in
2-5 kt currents that reverse twice a day, in 80% ice coverage. Yeah,
that will be fun.

We get fiber optic cable damage from things I never knew existed in
the real world. We have ice flows, landslides, volcanoes, avalanches,
ice-crushes, firearm damage, earthquakes, tsunamis, bear bites,
rutting caribou and moose rubbing against things, and my favorite:
meth labs in motorhomes blowing up. And the regular human things like
vandalism and theft.

I absolutely love this job!

AK Schnozz