Re: [OM] setting up a photo database

Subject: Re: [OM] setting up a photo database
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 07:01:40 -0700
Some random thoughts

Digital Asset Management (DAM) discussion, an important one for me also. There
is a "somewhat" interesting conversation on Fred Miranda on LR vs C1.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1628609

An Fstoppers article on DAM, and one approach to using LR for organizing photos.
https://fstoppers.com/education/why-every-photographer-should-give-dam-163630

If one is coming in cold to LR, or other DAM system, there is a lot of time up
front to organize an initial database. A commitment I'm still looking into.
With LR for instance, (reading the above article) I would now have to manage
renaming photos, etc in LR, not on disk, or you can confuse the database. This
was my early fault with LR when it first came out, and probably true of other
systems.

For someone uncommitted to any DAM system, how does one decide if LR is the way
to go or some other approach? There are a lot of individual workflows to
consider besides just the DAM piece.

WayneS - DAMless and confused.