Re: [OM] another one with the 12-200

Subject: Re: [OM] another one with the 12-200
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 17:00:56 -0800
On 12/19/2019 2:49 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Jan wrote:
The wonderful 35-100/2 was for over a decade, the fastest zoom available — with
performance rivalling prime lenses. The incredible 150/2 rivals the OM 250/2 as one of
the best lenses ever made. And the 50/2 macro, while slow to auto-focus, rivals the
legendary Leica Summicron 50/2, which costs $4,000+.
Hyperbole? I think not. Having experienced all those lenses and more,
I would say that these lenses were always hampered by the cameras they
were attached to.

Absolutely so. I'm waiting to hear from a photo friend who has just bought a lightly used E-M1 II to host his stable of top end 4/3 lenses.

Interestingly enough, the same is true of many/most µ4/3 lenses. I test using the 65 MP-ish HR mode of the E-M5 II. Shoot in HR, then downsample to 4/3 size, and sharpness, detail resolution and noise are significantly better than the straight ORF file. DR and/or flare also are improved.

The lenses are more than doing their job.

And best of all, these lenses have a character to the images that is
SMOOOOOOOOOOOOTH and well refined.

Oh well. :-)

Coarse Moose