Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette

Subject: Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 22:20:01 -0800
On 12/14/2019 6:40 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
I yet be missing something. There are lens profiles in LR for Panasonic
lenses?

Considering your recent posts about other Panny format, may I assume you are asking
about µ4/3 lenses?

If so, yes. ACR/LR work differently for Oly and Panny µ4/3 lenses than for any other lenses. The distortion data from the manufactures, as used in their firmware for JPEGs and in their Raw conversion software, are baked into ACR/LR. They don't show as profiles, and can't be disabled.

To see what they look like sans those "profiles", one must convert in some other program that allows that. With WA, SWA, UWA, whatever, lenses, the µ4/3 makers' data tend to be shy of full correction. Both DxO and PTLens profiles are superior - in terms of linear distortion correction.

I suppose OlyPan may do that to compromise between linear accuracy and the combination of object distortion and resolution loss from stretching?

My first encounter with this was using PTLens on a WA film scan, ages ago. In a far corner of the image was a small, bright object. It was easily identifiable as a discarded aluminum soda/beer can from the shape. After correction, it was an unidentifiable blob. Didn't matter, in that case, as it was cloned out. But it alerted me to the very real problem.

Mildly Distorted Moose