Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette

Subject: Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 21:42:32 -0800
On 12/19/2019 5:27 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
If so, yes. ACR/LR work differently for Oly and Panny µ4/3 lenses than for any
other lenses. The distortion data from
the manufactures, as used in their firmware for JPEGs and in their Raw
conversion software, are baked into ACR/LR. They
don't show as profiles, and can't be disabled.
Very interesting!  I figured that the profiles would be available in
the normal lens profile section, but they aren't.

Nope, what you get is what OlyPan want you to get. I assume Adobe did a deal, official correction data in return for baking it in, so it can't be turned off. ACR/LR users, and those of Oly and Panny Raw converters, then think all those lenses have minimal distortion.

If you look closely here:
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/DXO/Dist_Corr.htm>

ACR and SilkyPix both do a less than complete job. Look at the line of the top of the central colonnade; it's slightly bent. PTLens is better, and DxO is perfect.

Also of note to someone like me is the difference in how they are corrected. ACR/LR and SilkPix leave the center untouched, increasing correction with distance from center. DxO and PTLens make the center smaller and the outer areas larger.

I would say, though, that those Panasonic lenses I have, with or
without correction, do a remarkable job. I'm quite elated with the
quality of pictures I'm getting. However, I'm not getting the OMZ
look/feel that I prefer. Close, but...

They really are making excellent lenses.

T. M. I. Moose