Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette

Subject: Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 15:55:01 -0900
(Stone Age) Moose wrote:

> Remember, I deeply dislike editing in LR. I use it for it's marvelous mapping
> feature with my geocoded photos and for
> keywording, when I am up to that.

It's working very well for me as I'm not only using it for basic
sorting and viewing, but as a complete image management tool. The fact
that the editing capability has been rounded out so extensively is
bonus to me. Granted, it doesn't do EVERYTHING, but it's awefully
close. There are certainly things that PS does better, but I find it
remarkably rare for me to have to dive in there. It's pretty variable
and a matter of my mood too.

The biggest headache I've had in regards to LR is splitting and
repurposing of catalogs. This has less to do with what LR is capable
of, and more to do with my own specific workflow and hard-drive
issues.

Last month, I split my catalogs into years. One catalog per year.
While this is a bit more cumbersome in some regards, it does allow me
to copy my catalog and appropriate picture directory (labelled by
year) to another drive for working on in another computer or whatever,
and then bring it back and copy the files back onto my big drive. If I
had an SSD large enough for 100% of my library, it would be a
non-issue, but I need to have a way of working with one or two years
at a time.

Yes, I know, FastStone would be easier.... ;)

> FastStone is lighter and faster. And, if I want PS, hit the "E" key, DxO,
> Alt-2, LR is Alt-3, AI Gigapixel is Alt-4, and
> so on, all customizable.

Before I dove back into LR, I was using several different options,
including FastStone. I also was trying to use the built-in image
manager of PWP. While it was all OK, settling back into to LR was like
coming home again and having the dog greet you. It's a $10 per month
"tax" that I'm more than happy to pay.

That said, I do avoid Adobe specific things whenever possible, like
DNG file formats and anything else that doesn't conform to generic
tools.

AG Schnozz