Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette

Subject: Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 09:30:40 -0900
Multi-Layered Moose wrote:
> As expected, I agree, and disagree.

All is right with the world again. :)

> Disagree. Yes, plenty of improvements. But, Topaz' new AI series bring
> capabilities that are huge steps up from what
> PS/LR can do. They are not perfect. They have quirks. But they can do really
> amazing stuff nothing else can, as yet, touch.

The problem is that it's not even at the 90% rule yet. I can't live
there 90% of the time. It has become an extremely rare event when I
have to leave LR at all.

> You knew I would disagree. Because you don't use it, you don't see the
> continuing improvements, both in new functions
> and in improvements in old ones.

Essentially, whatever is being developed for LR is being included in
PS whenever possible. But the difference is that in LR, it's much more
integrated into the workflow whereas with PS, it's a tool that you
have to pull out of the toolbox to use. It's the difference between
having a well equipped toolbelt vs. a well equipped toolbox.

> Elucidate, please. I just tried to duplicate something I had done to someone
> else's image in PS in LR. Where is the
> Levels control - or equivalent? How do I simply move the midpoint of the
> histogram, or pull highlights up and.or shadows
> down to just kiss the ends? Such a basic capability that I can't believe it
> not there.

You obviously must not be looking very hard because there are at least
three places in LR where you can do just that. And that includes a
manipulable histogram, curves controls, as well as sliders for
everything.

> Does LR do plug-ins?

Yes.

> I couldn't see that, either. So, if I want to use Topaz Sharpen AI, as I did
> on Mike's Pup, I have
> to export in TIFF, process in Topaz, save, then open in LR. Oh, that's right,
> I can't just open it, I have to import it
> first. That's a lot of extra steps and time. In PS, I just start the plug-in,
> and get back a new layer with the process
> applied. To try and compare the three sharpening options and some settings,
> that becomes a nightmare. In PS, I just end
> up with a few layers I can turn on an off, so make simple, direct
> comparisons. Then, if I want to apply different types
> and/or amounts, masks do that in moments.

"Layers and Masks" is just one method of image manipulation. But to
your concern, it's stupid-easy to create a "virtual copy" and do
whatever it is you want to each one.

> LR = Sludge.

I've been finding ways to greatly improve the speed of my LR
environment. Over the past couple of months, I've discovered several
significant things that have completely revolutionized the experience:

1. SSD external work drive for my active/current catalog/images.
2. Retirement of the Seagate drive that uses SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording).
3. Adjustment of the "Preview" settings.
4. Macbook Pro

More about this in another post...

AG Schnozz