Re: [OM] Facebook Outage

Subject: Re: [OM] Facebook Outage
From: <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 08:47:57 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I may have found the culprit in the recent difficulties with Facebook.
There is a distinct difference between accessing it by dialup or wifi.  19CL is
the carrier for dialup access, and it appears that they are routing dialup, and
perhaps all internet traffic eastward towards servers in Dallas, Shreveport,
Atlanta, and further.  When using dialup I can only get a very small portion of
Facebook pages.  One of those servers is also a host for the dreaded 1e100.net
Google network.

     When using wifi, which is probably carried by Cox, the routing is westward
towards a server in Los Angeles.  There is no disruption in Facebook content
when using wifi.  So, I have good reason to suspect that the problems with
Facebook over the past two weeks have been primarily due to 19CL routing
internet activity eastward to servers that have limited or no connectivity to
servers on the West Coast.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson