Re: [OM] Public Wifi

Subject: Re: [OM] Public Wifi
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 11:16:05 -0700
> From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> 1. Get yourself high speed internet at the house. Your life will
>> improve greatly. If nothing else, get a MiFi from Verizon.
>
>     DSL is not available here, and I'm not going to waste money on cable.

That used to be my attitude, too. But then cable got really, really cheap. I
pay under C$90/month for unlimited North American phone service *and*
business-grade Internet with one static IP. We paid nearly double that when we
used POTS and DSL.

What the cable companies *really* want to do is sell you television. If you
don't do TV (as I do not), you can get the other services fairly cheap, thanks
to neighbours who are paying up to $300/month for "premium channels" and other
crap.

Of course, if DSL is not available where you are, that may be why cable is
expensive. You may find that you're just beyond 11,000 feet from a switch, and
that others in your area can get DSL, in which case, I'd imagine that cable
would be competitive.

Jan