Re: [OM] Public Wifi

Subject: Re: [OM] Public Wifi
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 12:12:30 -0700
> What the cable companies *really* want to do is sell you television. If you
> don't do TV (as I do not), you can get the other services fairly cheap,
> thanks to neighbours who are paying up to $300/month for "premium channels"
> and other crap.

That is actually not true anymore. The margin on cable-tv is nearly
non-existent. The cable companies are trying to convert to an
on-demand IP-streaming technology as fast as they can as the bandwidth
requirements across the cable plant require recovery of the channel
space. I know that my former employer had purchased the cable tv
operations in the state just for the "last mile" network that supports
very high data capacity. The revenue from the "cable tv" isn't enough
to keep the lights on.

That said, the "premium channels" definitely are money makers, but
that's considered bonus revenue, not base revenue.

AG Schnozz