Re: [OM] Clickity Clack - Revenge of the Keyboards

Subject: Re: [OM] Clickity Clack - Revenge of the Keyboards
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 11:19:46 +0930
On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 09:55:26AM -0800, Ken Norton wrote:
> As many of you will recall from my various comments and discussions
> about the Canon DSLR bodies, I have carpel tunnel in both wrists. This
> has proven to be an issue with some camera bodies as well as with
> other seemingly mundane tasks.
>
> Like typing.

I have a couple of comments to add to the pot.

I'd suggest we might add the Taiwanese 'Ducky' brand to the list as
well.  I have an RGB 5 (illuminated)  essentially a standard 104 key
layout. Also solidly built and heavy. I took the Cherry MX white (80g
linear) option (not totally silent, but not awfully noisy.

Clicky keyboards are a 'novel' thing in the days of membrane keyboards,
and for a while were a bit trendy among the lads at my previous
employer. Most annoying -  to the point where I was having trouble
hearing clients on the phone complaining about the noise in my
background (through the  noise-cancelling headset) over the racket of
three of my colleagues using them. Membrane keyboards were invented for
a reason, and it's not just cost. (I work from home now, it's only mine
:) ) To paraphrase Ken, if noise annoys, avoid the clicky and try the
linear/tactile.

One thing to be mindful of is that many modern keyboards feature 'n-key
rollover' where they will detect and report as many keys as are pressed.
This feature may delay recognising shift and control until after the
intended keystroke in normal typing. If you get things like random shift
and ctrl stupids try turning this feature off. Your cat loves this
feature as it allows him to fit in much more communication with your
friends and colleagues whilst you take a comfort break. :)

As many modern keyboards require installation of drivers, to support
macro sequence recording, to control the illumination, or to manage all
of the onboard 'smarts' the operating environment also needs
consideration.  I had an older 'emulation'-type KVM (keyboard video
mouse) switch to share my user-interface devices between my 2 desktop
machines - it didn't recognise the new keyboard properly, and an updated
2-port DVI/USB KVM cost nearly as much as a new PC (I went back to a
dumb KVM switch and I put up with the USB enumeration delay).

davidt