Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Experiment

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Experiment
From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 11:38:41 -0400 (EDT)
I'm getting out of my depth here, so I will, in my own feeble way try to relate
what my late father said on this subject. He was a structural engineer in the
aircraft industry, and worked on such important projects as a part of the
original team that designed the B29, redesigned the pins that held the wings to
the fuselage of the B47, and was the structural engineer on the first Lear Jet
when it was decided at the very last minute to change to a T tail, working
three days around the clock.

He was opposed to converting because he said that he would loose precision in
his work, H felt that the kind of half assed system used in those days
(and may still be) of inches, tenth, hundredth and thousandths of inches was
more precise. Don't ask for a more detailed description as it would take a long
time with a shovel to get the answer.