Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Experiment

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Experiment
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 21:05:24 +1030
Australia was metricated in 1974. I was nine.  I can work quite happily
in either system (and I used to have fun confusing my dad with 50mm and
my kids with 2"), though I do prefer SI as it is natively much more
intuitive (for me).

We are still saddled by the inaccuracies of imperial timber (lumber)
measurements: a 'forbee' (4"x2") never measures 4x2  but usually
3-1/2"x1-3/4" (after milling - I guess it's a kind of 'imperial size
tax' :) ), so for compatibility the shops stock a 90x45mm which measures
pretty much exactly that. Interestingly  we are now starting to see
'sensible' metric-multiple sizes like 10mm & 20mm replace the old
imperial-compatible sizes like 12 and 19mm. Only now are 'English'
whitworth sizes starting to be replaced by metric as the default
hardware shop bolt/nut ranges... I still wonder what the holdup was :)

I found it interesting to read that:  Thomas Jefferson sent a
commissioner to France to obtain a set of metric standards (to ease
trade with Europe) which was lost to pirates on their return;  the US
signed a treaty committing to support the metric system in 1875, and;
since the 1890s all of the US imperial standards are now defined against
metric standards, which are now held at the NIST. I still fail to see
what the benefit in holding out is, but I understand that I lack social
context - and I try to convert units* in my head when I talk to my son's
young lady friend (from the US).

*It was 110F in Adelaide last week and 70F this week :)

davidt