Re: [OM] OT: Facebook Failure

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Facebook Failure
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 13:36:49 -0900
> A few thousand people having trouble on a social network with 2 billion users
> is nothing.

Actually, those few thousand people are only those who have gone out
of their way to report the problem on this specific website. According
to my sources, this is affecting millions of users. The normal cascade
function that allows users to migrate over to other data centers is
apparently not functioning and the way to get around it is for an ISP
to adjust the routing tables to redirect FB traffic to another peering
point. FB isn't revealing what the root cause is, but they are
communicating with the Tier-1 and Tier-2 providers on how to restore
some of the service.

It really is bad. There are many FB employees who won't get their
turkey dinner tomorrow.

AG