Re: [OM] OT: Cell Phones

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Cell Phones
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 21:20:33 -0700
Chris I'm a tracfone user for years too. Can't beat the $50/yr and more minutes than I can ever use. So here is my story. I started with a CDMA slider which I really liked but I left in on the bumper at a pee stop in the middle of the E-OR desert :(  I actually was able to call my daughter from there. So then I got a GSM flip phone LG442BG. GSM really sucks in marginal areas so I gave it to my wife for an emergency car phone and bought a ZTE® Majesty Pro which is a very cheap ($10) smart phone. I don't use any of the "features" except phone and text. I shut off all data except when I have a wifi connection so I don't use any minutes. The beauty is that it is LTE/GSM/CDMA and the marginal reception is much better than the GSM flip phone. You can even get a CDMA flip phone which may be better. Anyway the ZTE came with an ATT SIMM card so I had to go through several tech support people to finally have them send out a T-Moble SIMM. T-Mobile is rapidly expanding service around here so it is the only service that works. I now get one bar here at home WHOO-HOO.

Now this is a really cheap phone so don't expect much. And you don't get double minutes for life. I just loaded up 2x minutes on the flip phone and then transferred them to the new fone.

<https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/phones/tf-zte-majesty-pro-plus-lte-reconditioned>

Mike