Re: [OM] Way OT: Power supply for low voltage LED landscape lighting

Subject: Re: [OM] Way OT: Power supply for low voltage LED landscape lighting
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 09:56:54 -0700
> From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> This sort of thing looks pretty useful. Definitely something to consider
> for path lighting.  A look at them one year in may be in order  for
> water ingress, corrosion etc. and mitigation of same.

I actually bought and installed two of them, then liked them so much I bought
four more.

They are being used for a roadside sign we hung in July:

        http://www.ecoreality.org/wki/images/c/c3/Road_sign_hung_2.jpg

The initial two (one on each side of the sign) weren't lighting it enough. They
almost never went on high power. So I added two more on either side.

When I did so, I noted that some of the screws on the first two were not
stainless steel, and had begun to develop rust spots. In addition, the epoxy
sealing had pulled away on the solar panel, possibly allowing moisture entry.

I imagine they are designed to not outlast their batteries, which if they are
some lithium variant, will probably last 1,000 cycles, or about three years.

(BTW: our sign was selected as "Best New Farm Sign" by our local newspaper.
Photo taken with an OM-D E-M1 Mark II with the 14-150mm f4-5.6 II lens:
http://www.EcoReality.org/file/Best_New_Farm_Sign.pdf )

Jan