Re: [OM] Way OT: Power supply for low voltage LED landscape lighting

Subject: Re: [OM] Way OT: Power supply for low voltage LED landscape lighting
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:51:20 +1030
I'd suggest it would be quite wasteful to ship 100W of power any real
distance at 12V (unless you own a copper mine :) ).  If using a few
large modern LED panels it's not hard to get to 100W quickly.

Note that commercial fixtures may not be just LEDs, these days it's not
unusual to have some active circuitry. I'd be looking for information on
the fixtures to see what they actually need.  They may do something
magic (e.g. inverse-parallel strings) that actually needs AC to work
correctly. Do you already have the fixtures?  This may predicate your
choice of controller/power supply.

Aside from the control aspect, also consider standalone solar lights
(though they become a battery maintenance problem over time).

I will make a general comment that 'Internet-of-Things' devices that
might use a smartphone app or allow external control are often a
security risk. They 'phone home', and many have been compromised through
poor design. Those "home-assist speaker" devices are a case in point.

davidt