Re: [OM] Way OT: Power supply for low voltage LED landscape lighting

Subject: Re: [OM] Way OT: Power supply for low voltage LED landscape lighting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 13:37:28 -0400
The transformers seem cheap enough and most seem not to rectify the current.
There appear to be a few  electronic low-voltage transformers (ELVT) which are
new.

I always thought LED's prefer DC to avoid flicker whereas doesn't matter a wit
for incandescent.  LED's would also rectify the current?---

They do indeed rectify, as they are diodes, so less than half the potential power is available to make light. I don't know their characteristics, but all solid state diodes I've worked with have a forward voltage drop of maybe 0.6-7v, so the nominal 12v becomes 5.3 v or so. If that's enough for the light level you want, seems fine.

Theory again, the same light level with AC would seem to take about twice the
current as DC, and lighter wire could be used.

and perhaps has implications for daisy chaining the lights. I don't have many,
so voltage drop should be low--2 zones, max 2-3 lights on each.

I am not sure why the plain old 12 AC output is so common.

Cheaper, and it works OK?

Forgiving of wiring mistakes. I replaced the 12 v incandescent bulbs in our Turtle with LEDs. One didn't light up. The installer reversed the wires to it, buried under finish work. I did jumpers and cut traces on the LED circuit board. Could be a factor for folks using semi-trained help to lay wiring under dirt?

One Way Moose