Re: [OM] Way OT: Power supply for low voltage LED landscape lighting

Subject: Re: [OM] Way OT: Power supply for low voltage LED landscape lighting
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 01:33:00 +1030
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 05:42:58AM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> Have you considered something like this?
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-20X-24LED-Solar-Power-PIR-Motion-Sensor-Wall-Light-Outdoor-Garden-Shed-Lamp-MY/253587656710?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=552800034211&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
>
> I got six of these for under $50, and I couldn't be happier. Zero electric
> bill! They are on low ("night light" level) until they detect motion, when
> they automagically switch to bright, then time-out to low again when the
> motion stops.
>
> No, they don't turn on and off by phone. And their background glow may be
> more light pollution than you want. But otherwise, this seems like a
> ready-made solution for what you're trying to engineer, only much simpler and
> probably cheaper.
>
> Jan

This sort of thing looks pretty useful. Definitely something to consider
for path lighting.  A look at them one year in may be in order  for
water ingress, corrosion etc. and mitigation of same.

An interesting YT channel I found was bigclivedotcom - often he's
destroying or reverse engineering things; sometimes LED 'ballasts' and
USB power banks in the name of safety. He's a devotee of the small solar
LED garden lights and has done a number of videos on weather hardening
them, which would easily translate to the bigger stuff.

I will be getting some similar to these for around home.

davidt