Re: [OM] Boring mirror lens test shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Boring mirror lens test shots
From: <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:19:39 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Jan,           thanks for your tests. I only look in on the OM list
occasionally so was lucky to catch this thread.

For those interested in further discussion of the OM500 and similar CAT's, I
started a thread on these on the list in 4/2015 titled:

"opinions of the OM 500mm F8.0 reflex lens?"

Search back in archives if you missed it as there was some good input from
Moose,HC Ling and others.

My interest then was similar to Jan's : easier to handhold/carry for a long
travel lens.I eventually did not buy the OM but bought a Minolta 500mm CAT.
The reason I did not get the OM was the Minolta is aurofocus on my Sony A7 with
suitable adapter.
The Minolta has a fairly good reputation but apparently has slightly lower
contrast than OM.

The downside to the AF is the best A7 adapter with best AF performance for old
minolta lenses, uses a partially silvered mirror so cuts the light even more
over the already slow CAT.
With latest ibis in the Sony bodies this should not be as much of an issue as
slower shutter speeds should still be usable.
I have used it a bit on the latest best A7 body using slower speeds,but only
under bright conditions where it worked well.

Even on my old A7 without IBIS,provided used under sunny conditions, the
Minolta is handholdable,using a high shutter speed.
I mostly prefer manual focus so initially I used it in manual focus.
More recently I have been using it on AF for birds and animals, while canoeing,
where manual focus is trickier and a physically long lens is particularly hard
to use.
Overall it has worked out quite well for me the portability/handholdability and
low chromatic aberations outweigh the ocasional really bad bokeh issues and the
price is right.
The one thing I would prefer the OM for is to be able to use the OM 1.4X
adapter to get an even longer lens. Minolta did make a multiplier but I dont
have it and they are fairly expensive.

Tim