Re: [OM] Any Love Out There for the Olympus E-410?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any Love Out There for the Olympus E-410?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 21:40:16 -0700
<<If you figure out what it all means, please let me know.

<<I've just been looking at shots of a blue Agapanthus with E-400 and E-M5 II.
Much the same, in that colors appear to me the same, but the Oly software is
contrastier and tends to block up highlights a bit at default settings.

The converter seems to affect the colors as well especially purple.  I could
not definitively ascertain anything about the sensors with this sample.
Perhaps someone more familiar with them can.

It would seem that this is a mug's game, too many variables, too many things
going on 'tween sensor and viewed image.

1. As AG has pointed out, more than once, you can't make a test set-up with Color Checker, IT8 target, etc. Reflective paints and dyes just don't cover all that the world provides in the way of colors.

A couple of weeks ago, I shot a flower in our garden with E-400 and E-M5 II. Two cameras and two converters produced - four different colors. Then I went out to look at the plant. Guess what? You guessed it, a fifth color. Not unexpected, as I know that about these flowers. But how does one rate the four reproductions?

I can't even show the differences, as the one correct color, the original,
can't be posted.

2. The two converters have quite different curves. How can I tell if the colors are different when they are different in luminosity? I'm sure my vision can't differentiate reliably between different RGB proportions and luminosity differences.

Does one then create maps of the curves, ala Ctein in his famous "RAW is not Raw" article, then do some sort of conversion? Once comparing apples to apples, it  would be easy to compare the RGB values.

But where does that get me? How do I compare those values to the original
subject?

I think one part of the "truth" is that Oly and Adobe have different ideas about color. Oly has been remarkably consistent. E-1 converted with Master is very similar to E-5 II converted with viewer. Adobe has been highly consistent, too, up until the latest CC releases. They've switched the default profile to "Adobe Color", which I think is an improvement, but maintain the old standard as an option.

In the end, I think it's really a matter of taste, not something where it's possible to come to a scientific conclusion as to which is most accurate. Even with lab targets, colors of objects change with time, lights age, etc.

They all make pretty pictures. :-)

Color Full Moose