Re: [OM] [OT] Sensor Cleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Sensor Cleaning
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 22:19:55 -0700
On 7/26/2018 6:21 PM, Willie Wonka via olympus wrote:
  The gist: I need an effective sensor cleaner. Read on if further interested.

I love landscapes, but that comes with a price. With the A200 I didnt have to
worry about dust, but it finally got into my Alpha 65.
Air born particles have always been a challenge. I need to thoroughly clean my
lenses every ten minutes. My preferred lens changing method has been involving
a plastic bag as advised here about ten years ago. But this time even the
trusted and tried method did not work. I have what I call UFO's all over my
pictures from the trip to Martha's Vineyard earlier in the month.

Hah! Boris lives. Nice to hear from you.

The A65 shakes the sensor at both power up and power down

This method it poor. You are an engineer, with an understanding of at least simple physics. Stick a wad of gum on a drum. Shake it back and forth 'til the cows come home, and it stays put. Strike the drum firmly, and the gum fairly jumps off.

Once people copied Oly's sensor based IBIS, they started shaking the sensor about a bit and calling it dust reduction. Horizontal movement at relatively low frequencies just isn't very powerful. Now if they let it hit the ends of travel, hard . . .

Oly's version that vibrates a membrane with hi frequencies is far more effective. The surface vibrates vertically as the waves propagate and generates considerably more force away from the surface as the inertia of the gunk overcomes its bond when the surface snaps back. (I sometimes wonder it Panny is using something similar, as my Pannys have had hardly any dust problems, unlike the Canons I had before.)

  and also has cleaning mode, but it is just not enough.

You may have misunderstood the nomenclature. "Cleaning Mode" On DSLRs I've had it refers to a mode where the mirror flips up and shutter curtains open, to allow access to the sensor for cleaning. In and of itself, it does no cleaning.

I am looking for suggestions for best methods and equipment available to man
for the job...:)

The most effective method I've found is canned 'air'. Yes, I know everyone says that's a bad idea.** The trick is to use a partially empty can and keep it strictly upright. That way, no liquid hits the sensor. Rubber bulbs, ear syringe or "Rocket" just don't generate the velocity to do the job. A good blasting with the gas can, directed at the trouble spots at first, then at generally blowing everything out of the mirror box, has almost always done the job for me.

There was a discussion here a while ago in which someone said that in using Dust-Off I was spraying something oily on my sensors. I never saw any such effect, but I recall there is some other brand that's possibly safer.

For something tougher, I use the Lenspen Sensorklear on just that spot. Works for me. (Well, worked for me, pre Oly sensor cleaning.)

Dustless Moose

* OK, depends on how stick the gum and qualities of the drum, but the principle
is sound. (tee hee)

** No, I won't pay for it if you manage to mess up your sensor this way. Reader
beware!