Re: [OM] OT: Alaskan Aitplane Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Alaskan Aitplane Crash
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 14:33:59 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Some time ago I took the opportunity to raft the Middle Fork of the Salmon
River, then the main fork.  Along the middle fork there are a number of back
country airfields, as there are few if any roads.  The favourite aircraft back
there is the Cassna 182.  A few other tailwheel planes were to be seen.

     Alaska seems to be much the same for small aircraft.  My choice would be a
150HP PA-18 with a full greenhouse (L-21), flaps, and a few other goodies.

http://www.john2031.com/piper/pa-18_super_cub/1/n907y.JPG

>I've been watching the progress on an old Cessna 140. It's been
>stripped down with everything removed. Literally everything. No wings,
>tail, windows, interior or mounts ahead of the firewall. Just the body
>shell. Then a couple weeks ago, it had all remaining paint taken off
>and then primed. This last week, new engine mounts, new tail section
>and wheels thrown under it. Nearby is a new set of wings waiting for
>install.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson