[OM] Damn, I'm excited!

Subject: [OM] Damn, I'm excited!
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 18:51:12 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Congrats!  That is exciting.  It is clearly a superb digital back for Zuikos
for sure.  The normal range zoom looks quite nice--better than the Canyon
equivalent but uses a bunch of software tricks rather than optics to get there.
I think , though am not sure it is difficult (w/o using a special converter) to
avoid the metadata corrections.

http://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1034-sony24105f4goss?start=1

The review seems to get bent out of shape that performance is so influenced by
the software corrections rather than optics.  I am not sure it  matters that
much if they do an end run with software to get the goal line where the optical
double reverse only gets to the 5 yd line.
It is thus smaller too, as the front element would need to be much larger to
avoid the vignetting.  I read reports of QA issues with this lens--Roger  at
Lensrentals has tested 10 but I don't see his review up yet. Overall the QA
with the G series has been as good as Canyon at least.
I think there was a bad batch in Feb with  more focus shift as well.  Some of
the corrections may have some negative effects, but there are a huge  bunch of
megapickels to play with.

Lens Distortion (%) 24mm 105mm
 Sony 24-105          4.6       3.0
 Canon 24-105II      3.2     2.0
 Nikon 24-120 3.6    2.1 (120mm)

For long stuff rather use MFT with the relatively reasonably priced and
excellent performer PL 100-400.

Mike